13 Dec 2006

SQUIDGY CHOCOLATE LOG


I make this without fail every year for Christmas!! It gives me the chance to be very messy in the kitchen - cocoa powder and icing sugar everywhere. The food mixer comes into its own whisking all those egg whites. Unless you want muscles like Mr Universe then I wouldn't even consider making this by hand.

DELIA SMITH'S COMPLETE COOKERY COURSE - A NEW EDITION FOR THE 1990's.

ISBN 780563214540 - PAGE 486

Recipe

Serves: 8 people.

Skill Level: Moderate.

Taste Test: Light and moist, a good hit of chocolate but not too overpowering.

For this one I would suggest that you make sure you have everything ready to hand, ingredients weighed out, tin lined etc. You can't afford to walk away half way through making this, otherwise the end result will be as flat as a pancake! The method might seem to be quite long, but it is really a case of working your way through it carefully. Mostly I do not make the chocolate filling suggested by Delia but instead I fill the log with 275 ml of whipping cream, whipped to the floppy stage and then I whisk in 2-3 tablespoons of brandy. The chocolate log freezes perfectly with this filling. Serve with fresh raspberries.

Kitchen Equipment Used: Kenwood Chef.